This is an image I almost skipped for fear of two things. First and foremost, this location is very precarious — I was unsure if I would be able to safely reach it with a heavy pack. Secondly, I was concerned about the strenuous hike back to my car in the increasingly hot weather. I didn’t want to push my body beyond its limit, so I contemplated an early departure to avoid hiking during the midday heat. Such an early start would rule out this shot all together.
On the night before my departure, I decided it would be smart to skip this shot — but when morning arrived I had a change of heart. I decided to at least hike all the way to the precarious stretch of trail, and see if it was possible with my pack on. It was a bit of a scramble, but I made it without issue. After shooting this photo, I hiked back to Neon canyon where my campsite was, then packed my gear for the nearly 4 mile return hike to my car. It was a brutal hike with 90lbs of gear on my back and a 1,000 foot elevation gain. I’m glad I decided to visit the location that morning, otherwise this would have been only a memory.